Thursday, April 3, 2008

DETACHMENT

Sri Ramakrishna Sharanam

Me and my friend, were talking the other day, and the topic somehow drifted to detachment.... DETACHMENT...Yeap, we are so attached to many things in our lifes... My husband, My children, My family,My career, My achievements and the list is endless....What have Sri Ramakrishna said about DETACHMENT, to people like us, who are known as the householders......Below are some that I have gathered :


Detachment in everyday life: This is what Sri Ramakrishna said to M,on how to live in the world.


Do all your duties, but keep your mind on God. Live with all - with wife and children, father and mother - and serve them. Treat them as if they were very dear to you, but know in your heart of hearts that they do not belong to you.


A maidservant in the house of a rich man performs all the household duties, but her thoughts are fixed on her own home in her native village. She brings up her master’s children as if they were her own. She even speaks of them as ‘my Rama’ or ‘my Hari’. But in her own mind she knows very well that they do not belong to her at all.

The below are also from Sri Ramakrishna :

Live in the world like a mud fish. Do your duties in the world. Fix your mind on God.

Develop a strong sense of renunciation. Give up at once to what you know to be unreal—name, fame, position, wealth, etc.
/>

No comments: