Friday, August 8, 2008

KEERAI

Amma was a good cook and still is. When we, the children, were growing up, we did not bother much about the nutrition value in the food that we consume. The verdict were always based on our taste bud, it was either nice or not NICE.....But now, when I am a mother, I make sure my children gets all the nutrition, although some of the dishes does not taste that nice..... and this reminds me the cycle that my mother went through,and the cycle that all mothers goes through....MOTHERHOOD

There are many Keerai,green leafs out there, that is consumed, especially known to th Indian community that has medicinal properties.

Some that I have managed to gather from my reading in the net are.............

Vallarai good for improving memory power, it is also a nerve tonic and good for getting rid of ulcer, dysentery and pimples. Can cook into chutney, into sambar or boil as a drink...


Vendaya Keerai (greens of fenugreek) supposed to cool the body and is good for diabetics. Has iron content and fibre. Stir fry with dal,into sambar,into dosai or chapati or idli

Thoodhuvalai Keerai removes congestion due to cold; good for Asthma and improves brain capacity. Makes a wonderful chutney..

Manathakkali Keerai – has lot of vitamins in it. Is good for mouth & stomach ulcers. I love this keerai.....I like the aroma after cooking... Cooked once every 2 days, when my husband had his gastric issues lately...

Ponnanganni Keerai – Improves eye sight, good for improving complexion, reduces flabbiness. It is good for Piles complaints. Cook with dhal or with other keerai...

Arugampul – One of Nature’s gift to mankind; the juice controls Cholesterol; purifies blood;. I have tried cooking this yet or tyring the juice....However I have planted this at home.

Modakkathan (Cardios Permum Halica Cabum) – It is good for Arthritis, and nervous weakness; it is also a laxative. Can make a rasam out of this..

Pudhina or mint, which contains vitamin A heals ulcers and is good for digestion.
Wonderful as chutney, and drink (just got a recipe from a friend) and I throw this into almost all of my curries...

Murungaikkerai or the green leaves of drumsticks improves blood supply, energy level and purifies blood. It is a laxative too. This needs no introduction. Cook the keerai with the Vallai Poo, or coconut or into Thani Saar

Araikkeerai (Amaranths) which contains vitamin A is again a nerve tonic. This can be stir fried by itself or add with other keerai as Keerai Kaadaiyal with Pullichai Keerai(Gongura).. this is my all time favourite...

Thiruvatchi leaves help reduce kidney problems. I have never used this keerai...will need find out more information about this..

And the list goes on..... There are many blogs with detailed picture (I can't post here from their blog, that is 'stealing') and recipes. Spend sometime going through these blogs and cook these Keerai for your loving family...I have planted of them in my garden, so you can try doing that also....

Let's go green with Keerai.....
/>

No comments: