Monday, September 8, 2008

Would SHIVA understand what I told HIM??

Nivedithaa, my eldest daughter, who is 6 years old, said she wanted to ask me a question. This was just after her morning prayer, one of the weekends. I was then busy preparing breakfast in the kitchen and I admit, I was only half listening to her….but somehow, told her to go ahead and ask her question.’Would SHIVA understand what I told HIM???’ was her question…I had to stop what I was doing….She managed to get my full attention now…..What did you tell him maa? Was my counter question to her. ‘I can’t tell you, it is a secret, but would HE understand, because I told him in English???she asked me again with a very serious expression in her face, by then Yoga Bhayiravi, my youngest daughter joined us to listen to our conversation…. I hugged Nivedithaa and told her that definitely SHIVA understood what she had told HIM, even if it was in English. I could see that Nivedithaa was happy and satisfied with my assurance and repeated to her sister, that GOD understands English, and both the sisters went to play and left me alone in the kitchen……

I remember reading this article that was written by Swami Adiswarananda, Prayer is the outpouring of the soul. It is making a direct appeal to God. It is the last refuge of a spiritual seeker when all other means of attaining God have failed. Prayer does not have any definite language. It can be verbal, semi-verbal, or silent. Sincere prayer is always answered. This is the assurance of the prophets, saints, and scriptures of different traditions.
For receiving an answer to prayer a seeker is required to be wholehearted, true in thought, word, and deed, and intensely restless for an answer. He must throw himself completely at the mercy of God. The cry of a sincere soul is never ignored by God, since all souls are His created beings. Spiritual illumination, which alone puts an end to all sufferings of life, is not the result of human effort. Spiritual illumination is the gift of God that comes as divine grace. Only sincere prayer makes divine intervention possible.


I still do not know what Nivedithaa had prayed for, but her question, have actually helped me to realize………I have to admit, I am going through a little unsmooth journey now….and Nivedithaa, have helped me to realize that my prayers will not go unheard……

Didn’t Sri Ramakrishna said ‘One must be restless for God. If a son clamors persistently for his share of the property, his parents consult with each other and give it to him even though he is a minor. God will certainly listen to your prayers if you feel restless for Him. He has begotten us, surely we can claim our inheritance from Him. He is our own Father, our own Mother. We can force our demand on Him. We can say to Him, “Reveal Thyself to me!”

Sri Ramakrishna taught the devotees how to call on the Divine Mother. “I used to pray to Her in this way: ‘O Mother! O Blissful One! Reveal Thyself to me. Thou must!’ Again, I would say to Her: ‘O Lord of the lowly! O Lord of the universe! Surely I am not outside Thy universe. I am bereft of knowledge. I am without discipline. I have no devotion. I know nothing. Thou must be gracious and reveal Thyself to me.’”
/>

2 comments:

Srini said...

How sweet of your 6 year old daughter to have such a shraddha!!! And how wonderfully you have added to this sweet episode with quotes from Swami Adiswaranada and Sri Ramakrishna! May the shraddha grow. I wish all the very best to you, your daughters and everyone around you.

Sankri said...

Thank you for the kind words.